A sparkling smile greatly boosts confidence for many people; however, maintaining pearly whites can sometimes be a challenge. If you’ve ever had your teeth lose their whiteness over time, then you’re not alone. In this blog, we explain why teeth stain so easily, what stains teeth, and preventatives and treatments for this dental issue.
Why Do Teeth Stain Easily?:
To fully comprehend how teeth lose their whiteness, it’s essential to comprehend the science behind it. Food and beverage particles settle on the outer layer of our teeth, the enamel, and the enamel absorbs all that we consume, with the pigments staining the teeth.
Common Culprits of Teeth Staining:
- Dark-Coloured Beverages – Coffee, tea, red wine, and cola are notorious for staining teeth due to their acidity levels and intense colour
- Fruit / Fruit Juice – Cranberry, blueberry, and grape juice, as well as berries and pomegranate, can leave stains on teeth due to their natural dyes
- Tomatoes – Although packed full of important nutrients, the deep red pigment from tomatoes and tomato-based sauces does stain teeth
- Curry – Curry typically has a strong, deep colour to it and contains turmeric
- Dark-coloured liquid ingredients – Soy sauce and balsamic vinegar, for example, are naturally dark in colour and will stain your teeth due to this
- Tabaco Use – Smoking or using tobacco products can leave yellow or brown stains on teeth
- Poor Oral Hygiene – Poor flossing or brushing allows staining to accumulate on teeth
How Can I Remove Teeth Stains?:
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene – Brushing and flossing regularly can prevent stains from building up on your teeth
- Use A Straw – When drinking dark-coloured beverages, use a straw to minimise contact with teeth
- Professional Teeth Whitening – This or similar services can help whiten teeth and lift stains
- Rinsing After Eating – After consuming foods and beverages that stain, be sure to rinse your mouth with water or alcohol-free mouthwash
- Use Baking Soda – Using baking soda can help whiten teeth as it’s a mild abrasive
- Limit Staining Foods And Beverages – Moderately limiting staining foods and beverages can help prevent stains on teeth
While tooth staining is common, knowledge and proactive choices can help you take control of your smile’s brightness. Use our information in the blog to help you adopt practical strategies to preserve a radiant smile that exudes confidence and charm. If you or someone you know wants to whiten their teeth or get similar treatment, don’t hesitate to contact us today for an evaluation and guidance!
Have you enjoyed the blog and want to find similar content? Check out our previous blog on the dangers of grinding your teeth!